Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I can't ride my bike with no handlebars

"Training or touring?" the guy said he passed me on his bike. 

"Touring" I said. 

He replied "good for you!" And threw in a bonus "the only way to travel!" when he passed Jeff.
I guess I should of said both.  We are definitely touring, but I feel like I'm also in training... maybe like the biggest loser camp, but with less dieting.  Haha. These hills are rough! I'm starting to see why most of the established bike routes are north of where we are!

Now let's take a moment to cover awkward privacy violations, roadkill and breakdowns.

Awkward privacy violations:
Yesterday when we were getting ready to leave Kettletown State Park, Jeff went to the bathroom to change of clothes.  When he left the bathroom he went right back in to throw something away... he noticed there was a lady standing on top of the toilet peeking over the top of the stalls THAT HE WAS JUST IN! LOL. Let us know if you see any videos of him changing on the internet.

Roadkill:
Seriously, there is way more roadkill on the side of the road that you never ever even see when you're driving a car!  There were some stretches in the last couple days where I felt like I was dodging more road kill than anything else.  Despite my dodging, so far some of the things I have run over on my bicycle include: Tons of worms, Glass, Random metal pieces, A Copenhagen can full of water (that was nice), An old ear of corn and a pile of roadkill! Gross!

Breakdowns:
Yes, we've had a few! Jeffs back rack came loose at least four times before he moved a few things around and now it seems to be fine. The only reason that this is of note is because every time he broke down it seemed like we're in even worse part of New Haven - yipes! Both of us have had to do some minor gear adjustments and a break adjustment or two on mine. Nothing major. When we woke up at camp yesterday I remembered to tell Jeff that I "had this feeling like my handlebars were going to fly off when I was going downhills yesterday." Yeah, the headset on my bike was about one bolt thread from just completely detaching my bike from my fork and throwing me onto the pavement. Glad I remembered to check it because... I definitely can't ride my bike with no handlebars.

~Styx and Bones

We have an album started you can see all our pics at here: https://picasaweb.google.com/113448133157937829305/WhyNotBicycleCTNY

No comments:

Post a Comment